Photo and Recipe Credit: @veganhuggs
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed & crumbled into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1-2 cups vegan cheese shreds
- 3-4 10-inch tortillas
- Heat 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, red bell pepper, green bell pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until veggies are tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the same pan and return to stove on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil & stir in turmeric, garlic powder & cumin, combine well. Now add crumbled tofu and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until heated through and lightly browned. Taste for seasoning and add more as needed.
- Heat a separate large non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat. When heated, place one tortilla in the pan and heat for 30 seconds. Flip the tortilla and prepare to assemble. Add 1/4 cup cheese (or more) to half of the tortilla. Now add a layer of tofu eggs on top, then a layer of onions & peppers, and top with another 1/4 cup (or more) of cheese. Don't overfill. Fold over to close.
- Lightly press down tortilla with spatula. Cook for about 1 minute and flip. Cook other side for 1 1/2 minutes, or until cheese is melted & tortilla is lightly browned. Lightly press with spatula again. Be careful not to burn. Remove from pan. Place in oven on low heat to keep warm. Repeat process for remaining tortillas. Cut in half to serve.